The difference between regular toilet paper and RV toilet paper is as follows:
- Cost: RV toilet paper that is specifically labelled is generally more expensive than regular toilet paper.
- Comfort: RV toilet paper usually has a coarser texture and doesn’t feel as comfortable as other kinds.
- Quantity: Although you pay more for it, you typically receive less than you would if you bought regular toilet paper at the same price.
Toilet paper specifically marketed for RVs or septic tanks is usually rapidly dissolving, so RVs and septic tanks can use it. It is less expensive, more generously sized, and more comfortable on your skin than RV toilet paper, but not as fast as regular toilet paper. In addition to being thinner, RV toilet paper is usually only one-ply, so you’ll need more to “get the job done,” and you’ll be spending more money because you run out sooner; so the difference is as follows:
- You will spend more money on RV toilet paper because it is of lower quality and quantity, which means you will need to buy more much earlier in the trip.
- For RV holding tanks, certain brands of regular home TP offer higher quality, more products, and are less expensive.
If in doubt, use the toilet paper test to verify that your chosen TP hits high marks, as some brands are better to use in your RV holding tank than others.
Toilet Paper Test
Let’s do some scientific experiments. Try this simple test if you want to make sure the toilet paper you wish to use in your RV will work in your tank before you buy it.
- You’ll need a clear jar filled about halfway with water.
- Choose two clean squares of your preferred toilet paper brand and place them in the container.
- Ensure the lid is tightly closed, and shake briskly for a few seconds.
- It is probably better to use this brand in your holding tank if the toilet paper breaks up into tiny pieces.
- Alternatively, you may consider a high-quality bacteria and enzyme tank treatment, such as RV Digest-It, if it does not dissolve well or breaks up into several large chunks.
Note: Shaking the jar for a few seconds will ensure the accuracy of this test. It will dissolve nearly any type of paper and break apart if you shake it long enough. When you shake it for a few seconds, you will be able to tell if it is designed to break down quickly despite jostling.