Do you need a CDL to drive an RV? What are the RV license requirements?



When it comes to answering, “Do I need a CDL to drive an RV?”, there is no right answer. RV license requirements really depend on the type of vehicle and the state in which you drive it. We will cover a few different scenarios to help you better understand what type of CDL or special license you need to comply with the law.

What types of special licenses are available?

Before we dive into what type of special license you may need to operate your RV, let’s first cover what types of licenses are available.

  • R Registration: You will not see this type of license required in many states other than New York. This license is required in the Empire States for recreational vehicles weighing more than 26,000 pounds. Check with your state DMV to determine if this license is needed.
  • Commercial: CDLs are often not required to operate an RV, but it is best to verify this information with the state DMV. If you’re renting an RV from Cruise America, you won’t have to worry about getting this type of license!
  • No Commercial: There are different types of non-business licenses that may be required in some states. For example, a Class B license is a noncommercial license required in California to operate certain types of recreational vehicles. Before you begin your road trip to Cali, make sure you have the proper license for your chosen RV.

Without further ado, it’s time to determine what type of license you’ll need for your fun-filled RV vacation!

You do not need a special license with Cruise America.

First, we’re going to cover the type of RV that Cruise America offers: the C-Class motorhome! Because Cruise America’s Class C RVs are easy to drive and operate, this class of RV is the best choice for family road trips.

These RVs are best known for having an overhead cabin design, where part of the RV is directly above the driver’s seat in these RVs.

You’ll be happy to know that Cruise America rents both Class C motorhomes and camper vans, which don’t require a special driver’s license. As mentioned above, you only need a driver who is 21 or older and has a valid driver’s license and credit card. This is due to its easy operation, lower weight and shorter length.

Plus, when renting with Cruise, insurance is provided to you free of charge! Since the overnight rates for this can be quite expensive elsewhere, this benefit is a huge plus when planning your RV trip budget.

More to explorer

Which RVs should be winter-ready?

RVs can withstand freezing temperatures with the following features.  If you plan to camp in cold weather, look for these RV features. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *