If you plan to recharge your batteries using solar power, you may have difficulty getting electricity in the winter. Winter solar power efficiency is lower than summer solar power efficiency. Lights and heat drain more energy as you use them for longer periods of time. Here are some ways to heat your van without using electricity:
- Wood stove
- Soap Stones
A boat like this would be better off with one of these. Using bioethanol for tabletop fires is a good idea. It is important to keep in mind ventilation when working in a hot area. The odor of some fuels is really bad, but they are cheaper. Ensure that the fuel you are purchasing is the right type.
Small portable heaters can be found at hardware stores or on Amazon for a reasonable price. Their gas canisters prevent them from requiring electricity. The boat used to be anchored in a cove when they were on board. It is important to keep in mind the following points:
- There will be a lot of canisters needed, since they last about 4-8 hours each.
- Ventilating the space can prevent condensation and carbon monoxide poisoning. Before using the hatch or window, it is important to open it.
It is usually recommended to use a gas heater of this type only outdoors. It is possible to heat outdoor spaces and awnings with them.
The concept of vanlife communities has been around for quite some time, however they are still relatively new. In a pot, heat is applied and retained for a long period of time. It is important to note that wood stoves have a number of disadvantages, including a naked flame, the difficulty of regulating the temperature, the slow cooling speed, and the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
4. Wood stove:
Wood stoves are often installed in campervans for people living for a long time on a budget. By using this method, a camper can be heated without electricity. Camper vans with wood stoves have many advantages, but they also have some disadvantages:
- It is necessary to carry wood or stop near it.
- Vehicles have a difficult time regulating their temperatures.
- The cooling process takes a long time.
- A motorhome or camper’s insurance costs are extremely high.
The least popular campervan heater is the one mounted on the roof. As you can imagine, there are a lot of instances in which things go wrong. A thorough research should be conducted before purchasing one.
5. Soap/heat stone:
It is impossible to beat soapstone when it comes to retaining heat for an extended period of time. Beds are heated by coal instead of wood-burning heaters. In order to use this method, follow these steps:
- Place the stone for about 30 minutes in the oven or on the fire.
- To prevent your sheets from being burned, wrap the stone in a protective bag or towel.
- Put it on your bed. Sleeping in comfort will be possible for several hours if you do this.
- The heat is extreme with these! Make sure not to burn yourself in bed! Keep an eye out for them, as they can be hard to spot.